Executives can be made into leaders and leaders can become better at what they do by using the four techniques of transformational leadership. These four techniques include:
- Idealized influence,
- Individualized consideration,
- Intellectual stimulation, and;
- Inspirational motivation.
Executives can use idealized influence when aiming to develop a shared vision and improve relationships with followers. In doing this technique, they need to take the following actions:
- Instill pride in organizational members for being associated with them.
- Display a sense of power and confidence.
- Go beyond self-interest for the good of the SME.
- Talk about their most important values and beliefs.
- Consider the moral and ethical consequences of decisions.
- Emphasize the importance of having a collective sense of mission.
Executives can also use individualized consideration when they would like to concentrate on identifying employee’s individual needs and empower followers in order to build a learning climate and mobilize follower support and trust toward the goals and objectives at the senior organizational level. In doing this technique, executives need to take the following actions:
- Spend time coaching others.
- Consider employees as having different needs, abilities, and aspirations from others.
- Help organizational members to develop their strengths, and provide various formal training programs to improve the performance of duties.
In addition, executives can use intellectual stimulation through developing effective mechanisms to propel knowledge sharing in the SME and generate more innovative ideas and solutions for new and demanding issues that come up constantly in our hypercompetitive economic environment. In doing this technique, executives need to take the following actions:
- Emphasis on the effective coordination among different functional areas, and seek differing perspectives when solving problems.
- Suggest new ways of looking at how to complete assignments, and undertake a comprehensive analysis when confront with an important decision.
Furthermore, executives can use inspirational motivation to focus on inspiring people and not just treat them as human assets. Particularly, executives need to obtain employees’ suggestions and integrate their suggestions into the decisions regarding how to set a higher level of desired expectations for employees. In doing this technique, executives need to take the following actions:
- Talk optimistically about the future
- Talk enthusiastically about what needs to be accomplished.
- Express confidence that the goals will be achieved.
The four techniques of transformational leadership mentioned above, when carried out correctly, can present a set of practices for an effective transformational leadership.
Mostafa Sayyadi, CAHRI, AFAIM, CPMgr, works with senior business leaders to effectively develop innovation in companies and helps companies—from start-ups to the Fortune 100—succeed by improving the effectiveness of their leaders. He is a business book author and a long-time contributor to HR.com and Consulting Magazine and his work has been featured in these top-flight business publications.